I used to think astrology was a crock of shit. This was mostly because I never really looked into it and was basing that on what I had been told, mostly by my mom. She is a religious person who thinks astrology is some sort of cult religion, so naturally she'd warn me against it. But then one fine evening, I was driving home from the dog park listening to the radio. A show called "Grey Matter" was on, which talks about astrology. A particular caller had called in about a particular problem and based solely on the time and location of his birth, the astrology was able to deduce several facts. The caller himself was amazed at her ability, but not overly so. My boyfriend later pointed out to me that the callers could be rehearsed and/or hired. Of course they could, but this radio station is fairly reliable so I don't think they'd to that. In any case, the purpose of the show is to help people help themselves by figuring out why they behave a certain way or think a certain way. There is never a request for money from the audience or callers. Furthermore, I looked up some info online about astrology. I decided to test it by thinking of some of my closest friends and then finding their sign and checking to see how closely it fit them. I was amazed to find that all except for one fit to a T. I even tried my parents, brother, boyfriend, etc., only stopping at my dogs. They all fit extremely well.
I have a friend who is the eternal skeptic. He doesn't believe in astrology or God or anything that is without evidence. Ironically, he is easily persuaded when it comes to political agendas and when questioned he can't really explain why he believes a particular way. He thinks astrology is merely Forer Effect, that the expected outcome will poison the process thereby causing the expected results. Whatever. I'll let him think what he wants.
Speaking of him, don't people who seemingly know everything (but not in a know-it-all type way) and thus are very rarely roused annoy you? He seems so blasé with everything, no matter what topic I may bring up. As if, "I've been here, thought of this, don't care to think of it further." It drives me nuts because I know that he does care, about many things. Maybe he just doesn't want to discuss them. I don't know. I need to discuss things, to think about things and then discuss them and get feedback. I like to hear what others have to say on a particular topic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment