Friday, September 18, 2009
A real treat
About a week ago, I bought a candle. This is a very insignificant thing, I know. But I rarely buy candles, partly due to cost but also due to my pets and potential health risks. I just am not sure about fake smells. I definitely don't like any sort of smelly sprays for the house because they make my nose burn. Unfortunately though, I have several cats and so the litter box smell is fairly prominent. So I have been on a long quest to find an appropriate, safe solution. Candles are certainly better than sprays but there is the risk of fire since I have both cats and dogs that get crazy sometimes--it would be easy to knock it over. Putting it in a high place doesn't even work because cats have ups. My cats occasionally get on top of my kitchen cabinets, a place I can't even reach without standing on a chair. I've tried burning incense but it just tends to be so strong so fast. And I'm not a fan of the smoky smell. I'm pretty sensitive to smells I've realized the past year or two. I don't sneeze or anything like allergies, but my nose burns if the fragrance is strong enough. So back to this candle I bought. The fragrance is Autumn Spice & Crisp. I miss experiencing a real autumn with splashes of color on the trees and ground and wearing long sleeves. And sipping hot chocolate. So this is my pseudo-autumn. Just smelling it allows me to imagine fall as I know it. Even though I will be traveling to Kansas and Indiana in the dead of winter, entirely missing fall, I'm looking forward to getting my winter fix. I'll be in Kansas almost a week and Indiana for a week. After living in Indiana for a year, I don't ever want to spend a full winter there again. It's not so much the bitter cold as the lack of sun. I never realized until moving there how much the sun affects mood and how much I need sun. Kansas, my home state, just so happens to be in the top ten states for sun. This is based on number of sunny days per year. The number one state for sun is Arizona, not Florida--those posers. They named their state "The Sunshine State" and I don't think they're even in the top five states for sun. After Arizona comes Texas or California, then some other Southern states I believe. How unoriginal of Florida. They should have gone with something like "The Boot State" and then their motto could be "Our boot will kick your ass!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment