Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Missing gf's

I miss my girlfriends. I have three close ones--except they live far away--that I've known for three years or more. One lives in Kansas, one in Indiana, and one in Pennsylvania. The one in Kansas has been my friend since high school and I consider her my psycho-helper because she has a high emotional IQ and I do not. Just talking to her helps me solve my problems because she asks the right questions. She has two kids, ages three and one, and I wish I saw them more often. I am their godparent, which to my friend and to me means that if she and her husband were ever to die, I would care for the kids. That is the thing that tears me up the most about not living closer to her: the fact that I don't get to see her kids grow. Sure, it sucks that she is so far away, but I can always talk to her on the phone. I've talked to her son, the three-year-old, on the phone but he does the typical nodding and has yet to master phone communication. Plus, I'd rather watch him play than actually talk to him any day. Watching kids learn and play can be so incredible. But she and I plan to live in the same state one day, so all I can do right now is wait.
My friend in Indiana was my roommate for a year. I really could not have asked for a better one. She and I got along so well. It is one of those situations I always read about in books or hear others talk about, how I feel like I've known her forever because of the innate bond we shared. She got married which is why I moved out, and they have since made many changes to their house. I am visiting in December, finally, as that will make nearly 2.5 years since I left and since I have seen her. She and I both aren't the phone types. We talk on the phone since it's the best way to communicate in our circumstance, but neither of us are fans of this form.
My PA friend is a fellow education major. She will make such a wonderful teacher. Her specific area is Special Ed because she, herself, was in Special Ed throughout high school and was told to not even try to go to college because she had no chance. Luckily, she is the kind of person who is only fueled by comments such as those and she will be graduating from an acclaimed all-women school this December. She also happens to be THE most creative person I have ever met.
Good friends are plenty. Great friends are few, and loyal friends are rare. The more people I meet, the more grateful I become for these three beautiful people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment