Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sick=ick

Being sick totally sucks. Especially when the only thing you want to do is sleep but you can't, because of a headache, congestion, etc. I was sick for two days straight, hardly able to do anything. I felt like my body had been tenderized with one of those meat hammers, especially my neck and lower back. I kept expecting to see bruises but none ever appeared. I don't mind being sore after a good workout or physical activity. But for this soreness, there was no cause! It was needless. Then, my body couldn't decide if it was hot or cold. And I couldn't decide if I should help it be hot or cold. I've heard that getting hot is a good thing because once you break out in a sweat (also known as breaking a fever) the illness will start to leave. But at one point my head hurt so bad, in a different way than usual. I thought my brain was swelling, so I went online to see if it was possible, and sure enough, sinus issues CAN cause brain swelling. To treat brain swelling, they give IVs and lower the body temperature. So now I was stuck. Get hot to break the fever or lower my temp to mitigate brain swelling?

I drank lots of tea, some OJ, cranberry juice and a hot toddy. I like drinking tea but I don't like the following sudden urges to pee. Congestion causes one to get dizzy when moving fast, which isn't exactly convenient to making haste for the bathroom. I am now convinced that congestion is one of the worst symptoms one can have. I would much rather puke and get it over with. Congestion makes it hard to even watch TV. I was awake but wanted to be sleeping, and I was sooo bored. I never used to be congested until I got my wisdom teeth out. I suddenly became grossly aware of sinus cavities.

The good thing about being sick is that you appreciate the healthy days more when they return. Today I feel mostly better, aside from a runny nose. And I feel so good to have experienced the bad! It's like that phrase about not knowing good till you know evil or some such fiddle faddle. I don't just feel physically good, but all around, I feel great. My mood has improved. Thank goodness I don't have kids that will now be sick--a boyfriend is enough. But he did such a superb job of taking care of me while I was down. He made me food, bought me whiskey for a hot toddy, took the dogs out, helped me shower (I was dizzy and afraid I would slip on my own), brought me things when I was in bed, and probably a few other things that I'm forgetting from my delirium. He feels a little sick today but hopefully his version won't be as bad as mine.

I'm glad it's over, but in a strange way, I'm thankful for illnesses. Like I said, it makes one appreciate the healthy times, the good days, which there are many more of than the bad ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment