Sunday, October 25, 2009

Content

Today I feel very content. I'm looking forward to moving in four months, among other things, but I just feel good right now. I love these moments, when most things feel right in my world. I feel comfortable, in all ways: physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually. Ahhhhh. I should start doing yoga again. I actually don't like the doing of the yoga but the after effects are delicious. It's not all bad, lying there on the mat trying to stretch my muscles further than ever before, the muscles burning when in certain standing positions. I especially love the end when the whole class would lie down and do the full body stretch, focusing on breathing. It's the results though, that made it all worth it. I feel so good afterward. Not to mention that it supposedly has many healthy benefits.

I once watched a movie about a woman with a rare form of cancer--the name of it was at least five syllables long. Since it was so rare, there obviously is no cure, so she devised her own method. Every day, she would eat a smoothie in the morning, made of many vegetables. It was a gross green color. Then she would eat only raw foods, like salads and certain vegetables that had to be cooked to soften. She ended up spending several hours a day preparing her food. This diet lasted 40 days or so. She also maintained a rigorous workout routine. The tumors were measured at three to six month intervals and they showed no growth.

On the other hand, I've also heard that eating super healthy and getting regular exercise one's whole life will only extend one's life by two or three years. And even the healthiest of people get cancer or keel over due to a heart attack. I've heard of avid runners one day having a heart attack while running and they end up dying. What it boils down to, I think is balance. Too much of a good thing can always be bad. Drinking too much water can kill you. Drinking just over too much water causes one to pee out water-soluble vitamins and likewise too many vitamins get peed out. At one time, coffee was thought to be bad for you, but now they are saying drinking up to six cups a day poses no negative health risks and actually may be good for you! Chocolate has a similar story, though the key with that is to eat dark chocolate which has cacao, a source of those flavinoids or whatever they're called, which fight free radicals.

Point is, it's all about balance, as is so much in life. Too much of anything or too little of certain things, can kill you.

No comments:

Post a Comment