I have wanted to go abroad for some time now. I still have not been outside the US, with the exception of Nogales and that doesn't count. When I went to college in Kansas, I had a friend from Japan who encouraged me to teach English in Japan. Ever since then, I have really wanted to do so. I'm planning to at some point after I graduate, but I just don't know when. I don't want to have kids in Japan only because I hate moving as it is and having a kid will just magnify the difficulty level, especially moving halfway around the world.
I also want to live in California soon. Joey (my boyfriend) wants to at least try his hand at acting and writing comic books and I just love that state. I don't love it for the typical reasons like the beach or the abundance of liberals. I like it for the culture, variety, and laid back attitude. I want Joey to at least try acting so that he's not 90 and talking of back when he was young and he shoulda done that....And hopefully he will be able to get something published in the way of comics. He's not just another young hopeful with an idea; he is actually writing and taking screen shots and then assembling everything in a computer program. He knows one must have something to show and not just ride on the coattails of a dream. But neither he nor I have any idea how one gets their start in comics. It seems to be luck. And the comic book industry is easily one of the hardest genres to break into. So anyhow, we'll live there awhile.
Sometime later, I'd like to live in Colorado. My best friend in Kansas and I want to live in the same state at some point and Colorado seems to fit both our needs the best. I've been to Boulder and liked it but I'm not sure if I'd want to live there. But there are plenty of cities in Colorado and I'll go where work takes me. Or perhaps I'll go back to school there, to get my Masters. Colorado will be after Japan and California.
One of the main things about where I live is that I like having four seasons. Colorado has that, and parts of California do, at least to an extent. Tucson definitely does not. I like having some snow, but not negative temperatures for days or even weeks at a time (like Indiana or those northern states). I also like having summer, but not 80 in October. Even 80 in September is pushing it.
I still go back and forth on the ideal place to raise kids. I don't mean a specific city, but rather whether a big city or small town is better. Each has its advantages and disadvantages of course, but is one better or worse than the other? Or maybe a medium town/city is best. Too bad parenting is trial and error. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment