Sunday, October 25, 2009

Limo

Last night I rode around in a limo with Laura (yes, from class) for her 21st birthday. There was quite the crowd and the limo was packed.

I’ve never been in a limo before. Flashing lights that change colors, music, plush leather seats….it’s a dream world. One thing, though, is that when in a really nice place, certain things stand out more, such as the company. It seems as if the company is held to a higher standard when in an elegant place. But I didn’t have high expectations. I just wanted to socialize and wish the birthday girl well. I was quite pleasantly surprised, though, with the exception that there was a socialist in the bunch. In any case, I enjoyed talking to the other party goers. It was a fun night even though we only ended up actually going to one bar. Laura lost her ID at that bar, so couldn’t get into the next one. But a stranger sitting on the patio at that bar took pity on us when Laura said it was her birthday and let Laura have a sip of beer through the fence. I must say, Laura is a great drunk. She didn’t cry, didn’t puke, didn’t try to start a fight, and didn’t strip--at least not by the time I had left at two am.

There was one particular girl at this shindig who cried. She is 20 years old. When I used to drink, at 19 and 20 (which really was fairly rare), I sometimes cried too. I wonder if this has something to do with the brain and the reasoning behind the age of 21. Not that people over 21 don’t cry when drunk, and not that everyone under 21 does, but since I’ve been of legal drinking age, I haven’t really cried when inebriated.

I found the socialist in the crowd to be a very negative person. He seemed to use capitalism and the like as a scapegoat for all his problems. I don't think he said one positive thing any time I was near him. He was riding in a fuckin limo with free alcohol and was complaining. Seriously? Dude, wake up. I don't mind if you prefer socialism but then why don't you move to a country that has it? If capitalism really is so bad, then get out of this system! You have the freedom of choice to move where you please, so by all means, go! It seems like you'd be happier elsewhere and therefore those around would be happier as emotions are often contagious.

And now for my random ending. Just now, two of my cats ripped open the screen on the window and got outside. I live on the second story so they just got onto the porch. The two cats who happened to do this are the males. Both females are still inside, oblivious to what has occurred, and one is meowing to go outside with her brothers. Ornery boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment