Monday, October 26, 2009

Workload

I feel like the workload for English 306 is too heavy. I say this based on the fact that I am also taking three 400-level courses, and in none of them do I have the combination of reading and writing as in 306--it's generally either/or. I understand that 306 has a need to be both reading and writing but a little less reading or none at all when we have a paper due would be appropriate. One of the 400-level classes I'm taking is a very difficult class and even that class gets less attention than 306. English 306 is not difficult so much as time consuming. To be honest, I am sometimes unable to complete the readings for 306 because I really have to spend at least a little time on homework for other classes. Literally, out of all the time I have spent on homework the past week, half or more has been on 306 alone. I am willing to work for it, as I think is necessary in college, but there comes a point when it's just too much. And guess what students do then? Give up. I'm not giving up, but I might not read everything assigned in this class out of pure necessity and NOT rebellion or lackluster or anything of that nature.

Furthermore, I don't ever plan to publish, and I feel like much of the class content won't help me tremendously in my field. I feel like this class is intended for those who do plan to publish and that's not me. Sure, there are undoubtedly a few things here and there that I will pick up and find useful from the class. But the majority of it seems to be aimed at something I don't have a need for, and don't ever plan to be. At the same time, I enjoy some of the writing assignments but wish I had more time to complete them. I feel that I could produce much higher quality work if I didn't have to worry about this blog and the readings.

We have to write 500 words for this blog, five days a week. That ends up being about ten pages of writing, in addition to whatever paper we have due. Then, there is also reading a considerable amount. I have another class in which lots of reading is required but there is no writing component, aside from quizzes and taking notes. I have a paper due, along with a few other, more minor projects, in every single class in the coming weeks. I suppose I'll just use that writing for the blog. I sometimes forget we have that option. Maybe sometime I'll just copy some emails to put in here. Hehe. That could be interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a pointed critique of the English 306 Writer's Blog assignment. You bring up some interesting points--comparing English 306's writing and reading workload with other English classes you are taking.

    Since you posted this blog for the purposes of our English 306 blog assignment, I will respond to the points you raise. English 306 has always included a "daily page quota" along with reading and formal writing assignments designed to help you improve as a writer. All students taking the course this semester (even in other sections) are writing daily. I agree that this is a lot of work. Perhaps this is something that I can discuss with the other English 306 instructors and the Course Director at the end of the semester.

    The heavy workload is the main reason why I make sure to outline the Writer's Blog assignment very clearly in the syllabus, emphasize the challenging workload on the first day of class, and announce all the upcoming "drop" dates in the semester--so that those who didn't realize writing 500 words 5 days a week on a blog would be so much work can drop the class.

    Hang in there! I think you raise a funny point at the end of the blog--you could just copy and paste emails into the blog in order to meet the necessary length requirement. However, that would be treating the blog requirement like arbitrary busywork instead of an opportunity to keep yourself consistent in your writing process . . .I DO encourage you to post the writing you do for other classes (and especially the drafts, freewrites, reading responses that you do for our class) in this space. As I mentioned after our conference the other day, I have purposely made the assignment open enough to work for your needs.

    ReplyDelete