Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pomegranate Chip Ice Cream

Ice cream is practically a staple when you live in the desert. During the summers, I eat it for meals often times, because it's just so hot that nothing sounds good. So, because I ate/eat so much ice cream, I ended up trying numerous different flavors. I think I've tried 80 to 90 percent of Ben & Jerry's varieties, along with Haagen-Das. Well, one of my favorite kinds of ice cream that is really addicting is Pomegranate Chip. It is actually a special variety of Haagen-Das called Haagen-Das Reserve. The only thing I can tell that makes it this elite "Reserve" variety is that it is higher in price because it has pomegranate in it. In any case, it is gooooooood.

Last night, my boyfriend was eating an actual pomegranate, the fruit. My brain connected the fruit to the ice cream and a craving hit me like madness. Unfortunately, the grocery store only a block from my place stopped carrying all the Haagen-Das Reserves, so I would have to seek it elsewhere. I tried the next closest grocery store and found the ice cream aisle. The usual brands lined the frozen aisles, but no Reserves. Darn. I was about to leave when I decided to try one more time. Then, I saw an ice-covered ice cream container on the very top shelf, in the darkest corner of the freezer. I kid you not. I had to remove the container from the freezer just to see what kind it was but it did end up being the exact thing for which I was searching. Seriously, the bright purple container was almost entirely sealed off in ice. Obviously, not many people who shop at this store know about this ice cream.

There are a few things I like about it. One, I like that it has actual pomegranate juice in it, rather than just artificial flavor. Second, it isn't the typical slushy texture that inherently comes with fruit-style ice creams. It is oh-so-creamy. Third, it has an abundance of chocolate chunks spread throughout so that usually you can get a chunk in each bite. Furthermore, the chunks seem moist, if that is even possible for frozen chocolate. Strange as this may seem, I like how the chocolate feels between my teeth. It's not hard like most frozen chocolate and not dry like others. Forth, I like that the ice cream is primarily sweet, as ice cream should be, but the pomegranate juice gives it an ever-so-subtle hint of tang. Boy, do I mean subtle. I can't handle the "tang" of most alcohol or any sort of strong tartness. Fifth, it seems to melt more slowly than most ice creams. But maybe I'm just biased and I only think it melts slower.

If you don't believe the prior claims, that's fine. Check it out for yourself. I'm not typically a fruity ice cream kinda girl--my typical type usually involves chocolate in a variety of forms and in large quantities. So the fact that I'm touting this kind really says something. Maybe it even strengthens my ethos.

No comments:

Post a Comment