Sunday, October 4, 2009

Dream

I had a dream last night that I remember today with more clarity than usual. As is often the case with people, I don't remember my dreams very often, and if I do, it's usually bits and pieces that I have trouble connecting to a whole. Last night's dream was awesome. I dreamt that I was at a sort of sale, with bargains to be had aplenty. Then, the second part of the dream was me trying on clothes at this strange store that seemed to be like an antique store in its setup and contents--except that it had clothes too. The thing it lacked was a proper dressing room so I kept trying to find a hidden area to try on the potential shirts. I got caught by someone who apparently knew me, though I didn't know them, and was told where the proper dressing rooms were located. Except I seemed to already know where they were and purposely hadn't gone to them because there was some sort of class happening right outside the dressing rooms that I didn't want to interrupt. It's funny how so many things can get thrown together in one dream. I hate interrupting groups of people (whether a class or informal gathering), I relish getting a bargain, I like getting used clothes, and I used to go to antique stores with my mom. I don't put much stock into dreams, especially not mine because usually I can tell from whence they come. It's just an amalgamation of joys, fears, or even the last thing I did the night before. I wrote about thrifting fairly late last night and so I dreamt about it. Or if I watch a TV show, parts of that often appear in my dream. I certainly don't dismiss the idea that some people have prophetic dreams. I just thing people get too wrapped up in the meaning of their dreams. It's the same thing that bothers me about English majors, which I am. Sometimes I have felt like a person is trying to get too much out of a book. They make these huge leaps on what a particular item, character, event, etc. from the book is supposed to mean.

Speaking of meaning, I wish people would say what they mean more often. It's something I am working on. There is such a delicate balance between telling it exactly how it is (no matter how vicious) and telling the truth politely without sugar coating it. It's hard to do, no doubt. But I think it is necessary. I can't wait to see the movie where people can't lie, called The Invention of Lying. Wow, how that would change the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment