Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Halloween and other holidays

What a unique holiday. The only time besides Halloween where people dress up is for formal plays. And I've often heard it said that Halloween is an excuse for girls to dress far sluttier than they ever would in regular daily life, because, of course, there is no recourse for these once a year sluts. They have no fear of being called a slut by their peers. But there is something else I've noticed. Some people dress up as something they like, that they secretly want to be, but would probably never admit to it.

Though I generally like holidays, I don't like the work that goes along with them. I remember growing up, that my mom would go ape-shit getting ready for company coming over. She sure did have a lot to handle, and I really appreciate those cultures that do more of a community style meal. Everyone pitches in. Even still, it seems to me that the women shoulder most of the burden. However, as long as the men entertain the kids, the women can do the cooking and cleaning. I think it will be backwards in my family, with my (future) kids. Joey, my boyfriend, enjoys cooking and is darn good at it. He just has a knack for what spices go to what foods and that is a skill that is beyond me. I'm not terrible but I would much rather entertain kids. Baking is my thing, so I could take care of dessert. Oh, that will work well! Our house is going to be crazy what with two religions to celebrate. Or, if that gets too overwhelming maybe we will alternate years, like do one religion one year and the other the next. Haha. In any case, I look forward to it and I am determined to enjoy it, unlike my mom. I'm sure she enjoyed parts, but it seems like it was all work for her. I hope that my parents will eventually be willing to celebrate holidays with my boyfriend and I. I'm glad that Joey's mom is so receptive to his and my relationship. She hints at the fact that she wants me to convert--well, not so much hints as flat out says it, but she still accepts me no matter what. She and I get along well, thank goodness.

I can't imagine not celebrating holidays, as with Jehovah's Witnesses and atheists. How boring life would be. Though it is not exactly a holiday per se, I look forward to my birthday weeks before it happens. I even enjoy celebrating my half birthday! I understand why Jehovah's Witnesses do it; it makes perfect sense. I just think God wants people to be happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone and celebrating my birthday makes me really happy! Celebrating others' birthdays also is quite grand, but I really like opening presents. I like surprises. Pretty much, any reason to go out with friends is lovely. Holidays and birthdays provide the perfect opportunity to get together with friends, as cliche as that sounds. Sometimes, when I'm sitting around the table with my pals, I even forget what holiday we're celebrating. The thing that matters most is that we have community. Share the love, man!

No comments:

Post a Comment