This essay from class was quite inspiring and at the same time maddening. I think it worked well that the author cited countless stories of women who had risen up, out of their extreme poverty, against the odds. Relating this back to my own social witness topic, none of these success stories would have been possible without capitalism. Other systems do not allow people to rise up. Where they start is where they stay; it's a life sentence. Did these women struggle? Hell, yes. But they were given a chance to improve, and they did. This chance would not have been granted in other systems.
The maddening part is, of course, the ridiculous white congressmen who make policies that affect so many people about whom they know nothing. Perhaps a requirement of being a congressman should be some sort of volunteer work in an underprivileged community. Volunteer work generally isn't required for a job, but many jobs look favorably upon those with volunteer experience, and I've even heard of that being the difference between being hired or turned away. Of all jobs, those in the Congress seem to be the ones that should require experience outside one's own world. At the same time, if volunteer experience is required, then is it really volunteer? I don't really care what it's called as long as people are seeing those who they influence so greatly.
Unfortunately, for every story of success that Vivyan Adair tells, there is one to match that will catalyze the stereotype of lazy, unfit parents. I can see why those who are working and not on welfare would be upset. I, myself, probably qualify for welfare but I squeak by without it, with Joey working his ass off to support us. Then, just last night, Joey had a guy come into his store to buy three movies totaling $20.46 instead of paying his $16.23 in late fees that had been sent to Collections. And he has cable and at least three game systems. Joey would love to have a Playstation Three, and has been dreaming of one for well over a year now. But we can't afford it because we pay our bills instead. That's what really irks me, and I think I am not alone in this. Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely NOT opposed to welfare for those who really need it. My best friend in Kansas has two young kids and only survives through WIC and Welfare programs. She is a wonderful mother. But they don't have cable, and they get by on basics. I gave her a small TV I used in college the first go-round that I didn't want to haul across the country in my move. It is an older TV that I bought refurbished by a delightful old man. It still works, so they still use it. It cost me $50, six years ago. My point is that I have no problem with welfare going to families and individuals who truly need it. But I could show you people in my own apartment complex who abuse the system and that is frustrating to no end.
I appreciate this piece by Adair. It inspires me to work to get where I want to be, and reminds me of my desire to work in government to make positive changes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment