Friday, November 13, 2009

Proposal

The rest of my proposal:

Audience
My target audience is college-aged kids, whether in or out of college, who either don’t know exactly what capitalism (and socialism) is, or who claim to be socialist (and thus still likely don’t know what capitalism is). My secondary target is high school kids, seeing as they are fast approaching voting age and that is the age I want to teach once I have my degree.

Context
Since Obama was voted president, accusations of his being a socialist have been quite abundant. It seems as if more and more people in positions of power—not just within the government but many celebrities, ironically enough—are favoring socialism. Our Constitution was founded upon the ideals of capitalism for a reason, but with all the people in power bad-mouthing capitalism, I fear that in the coming years the Constitution will be forgotten and socialism will be in full swing. The government has already gained more power than ever in the history of the United States, which is in direct complement to a socialist system.
The economic system which a country maintains affects every single citizen within it. In particular, the most drastic effect of having or not having a capitalist system would be on small businesses.

Rhetorical Strategies
Ethos is undoubtedly one strategy that would benefit me. My grandpa is one of those rags-to-riches stories and so I have seen capitalism at work. Additionally, right now I am just a poor college student, but I still support capitalism because it provides the most potential for opportunity. Along with the previous reason of my current financial status, pathos could be employed successfully because many college students are poor and can identify with my situation. As for logos, I doubt my argument would work without it. I will need to use hard facts to prove my point.

Sources
Anything worthy of putting into an upper division college paper should work out fine. This will be tricky, as I think college students are some of the most untrusting and questioning people, especially our generation which has grown up inundated with all sorts of (often unreliable) information on the web.

Medium
My topic is a fairly versatile one and could work with many mediums. I have chosen to do pamphlets because they seem more friendly and less in-your-face. I think they have the capacity to reach a large audience across the UA campus, and being that they are taken on a voluntary basis, I feel people will be more open to the information. Additionally, I don’t think expectations will be very high with a pamphlet, so hopefully I will be able to surprise my readers!

Arrangement
Comparing the two systems is definitely almost a necessity to the argument. My main concern is that the font is easy to read and that the flow throughout the pamphlet is easy to understand.

I don't think the rest of it needs as much work. Sources was another area my group advised me on, to be more specific.

No comments:

Post a Comment