I heard on the news a moment ago about a major wreck on Interstate-10 caused by a mattress that flew out of the bed of a truck. It hit a motorcyclist who was traveling with at least a dozen other motorcyclists. He was taken by helicopter to a hospital and does not have life-threatening injuries, thankfully. But this is certainly not the first time something of this nature has happened, where a pick-up truck is hauling a mattress that flies out the back end, causing a pile up and sometimes deaths. I would think people would learn and figure out a way to hold it down. Several years ago, when I still lived in Kansas, someone thought they had figured out a simple way to hold down a mattress in the back of a truck. They just put their kid on it, but an eight-year-old isn't nearly heavy enough to do any good. The mattress and child flew out of the truck. Needless to say, the girl was hospitalized but I don't think she died. Still, it never should have happened, as the wreck today shouldn't have happened. I wonder how this could be remedied. At first I thought the mattress stores could require a particular way of tying down a mattress but then I realized that usually they deliver, with a larger closed back truck. So the problems seems to be with private sales, from one individual to another, meaning a used mattress. How could this be solved? Most of these people probably bought a used mattress because they couldn't afford a new one, so they likely couldn't afford an enclosed truck to haul it.
I don't know how possible it would be to make a law or public ordinance about it because it seems to specific and even a tied-down mattress could likely fly off if not done at least somewhat properly. The closest I come to being a science whiz is that I like The Big Bang Theory, but I bet the direction the mattress is laying has much to do with wind resistance. I've seen people haul them standing the mattress on its side and that seems to work well. Perhaps a simple ordinance about the direction a mattress during transport would do the trick.
On a different topic, I'm struggling with parts of my rhetorical project. My group did not approve my proposal, which I expected, but I really didn't see how my proposal was so much more lacking than each of theirs, with the exception of one group member whose proposal was exceptional. I think they were just trying to be soft in their feedback to me, so it made it seem like mine was no worse than any of theirs, which all got approved. Here is my purpose statement, which needs the most work:
Purpose
My overall expected result is quite simple. I want people to appreciate capitalism as an economic system, specifically in the US. I am tired of hearing about how great socialism is, and I would like for the supporters of socialism to really consider the pros and cons of both socialism and capitalism. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me in that, despite all its faults, capitalism is comparatively the best system to date; I merely want everyone to consider what I have to say with an open mind. Of course the ideal is that my audience will agree, however, I am a realist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment